Real Wedding Detail: Succulent Placecard & Favor

Kelly  |  June 03

The bride loved succulents (as do I!) and so I suggested we use mini succulents potted in aged terracotta to function as both the place card and as guest favors.

I found mini succulents at Seaside Gardens. Mini terracotta pots were purchased in downtown LA.

The Wednesday before we transplanted all 200 plants into aged terracotta pots (the pots were dipped in yogurt about a month before the wedding).

We used about 10 different types. If you do transplant, make sure to water them three times that first day and then once every following day. It sounds like a lot of water for succulents, but they need it when they’re this small.

Top photo via Martha Stewart Weddings

Shoesday
Shoesday
Entertaining: Dinner in the Apple Orchard

16 Comments »

1. About the best wedding favor idea I’ve ever seen.

Comment by Myrtle Beach Weddings — June 3, 2009 @ 9:41 pm

2. Beautiful idea! They looked amazing. So happy that I found your blog via Coco and Kelley’s twitter.

Comment by Camila — June 4, 2009 @ 8:09 am

3. Love this idea.. you did such an awesome job with it too!

Comment by Becky — June 6, 2009 @ 11:28 am

4. Oooh! This is what I’m doing too! But we’re using peat pots instead of terracotta. Do you have a photo of the finished product?

Comment by Janine — June 6, 2009 @ 5:27 pm

5. Fabulous garden with gorgeous succulents. It’s a nice idea to add it on your wedding favors.

Comment by Wedding Rings — June 8, 2009 @ 2:22 am

6. about how much were they per plant?.. just curious.

Comment by lauren — June 17, 2009 @ 1:35 pm

7. About $2.50 per plant. Pricing depends on how big the succulent is.

Comment by Kelly — June 17, 2009 @ 1:39 pm

8. Love the idea, I’m so glad to have found your blog.

Comment by CathysWraps — July 16, 2009 @ 12:16 pm

9. Love this idea, thanks for posting.

Comment by Tawnya Zebrowski — July 21, 2009 @ 8:59 am

10. This idea is so incredibly creative. Looks relatively simple to do and finally a wedding favor you really want to take home. This would also perfect for a small dinner party. Thanks for sharing!

Comment by Debbie — July 30, 2009 @ 6:59 pm

11. [...] you can see the behind the scenes posts here, here, here, here and here. I’ll post more photos of this real wedding [...]

Pingback by Santa Barbara Wedding Chic Blog » Blog Archive » Real Wedding featured on Snippet & Ink — September 5, 2009 @ 4:12 pm

12. Hi!

Can I asked why the pots were dipped in yougurt a month before? How long did you leave thim in?
    Thanks

Comment by Susana — September 10, 2009 @ 2:38 am

13. The pots were put in basically a yogurt bath and left outside. This helps to age the terra cotta so they don’t look brand new.

Comment by Kelly — September 11, 2009 @ 9:48 pm

14. [...] Chart/Place Cards 49. Chalkboard Wedding Seating Chart 50. “Seating” Cards 51. Succulent Placecard & Favor – via SMP and kellyoshiroevents.com 52. Patterned Fabric Escort Cards (downloadable [...]

Pingback by 66 DIY Bride Wedding Projects & Ideas - Part I | Wedloft by WeddingWindow.com — January 7, 2010 @ 7:06 am

15. I have been a reader for a long while, but this is my first time as a commenter. I just wanted to say that this has been / is my favorite entry of yours! Keep up the great work and I’ll keep on coming back.

Comment by Hong Tukes — November 9, 2010 @ 12:09 am